I’m really liking the way Apple is headed. Wednesday’s event was fast and crammed with stuff. Highlights:
- New Apple watch colors and bands. The new watchOS 2 was previously announced.
- iPad Pro:
- Larger size
- Force Touch Display
- Better sound (4 speakers)
- Optional Smart Keyboard – screen cover/keyboard a la Surface, based on MacBook keyboard
- Optional Apple Pencil – touch-sensitive stylus, very precise
- New Apple TV:
- Better hardware supports games and apps
- New Remote:
- Touch screen at the top
- Bluetooth connection (no more line-of-sight!)
- Wii-like motion sensors for gaming and other input
- Siri integration:
- Search across multiple fields of data
- Commands for all sorts of interactions
- iPhone 6S and 6S+
- Better camera
- Live Photos (similar to video, but in photos, less resource-intensive)
- 3D Touch (renamed Force Touch)
- Faster processor
- Better LTE and WiFi radios
- Rose Gold color added
- Faster Touch ID
- Upgrade pricing for iPhone
- Monthly payments for your phone
- Can trade in at the 1 year mark for a new plan
- AppleCare+ included in the reasonable prices
I think I’m most excited for the AppleTV. The features really make for a compelling product. “Siri, play me a movie starring Kevin Bacon” should actually work! The only thing I lack is a bandwidth connection that can support streaming.
On iPhone, Hey Siri is now active all the time. I can’t wait for the iPhone 6S and 6S+ to be popular. You’ll be able to stand in a crowd and yell,Â “Hey Siri” and everyone’s phones will go off.
I can definitely see these devices as having needed features for the right customers. I hear some “lack of innovation” comments, but I mostly discount those. No one feature has ever been amazing when it was released. Every single one has had a crowd of people decrying it for one reason or another.
I’m really excited for all the new hardware and new OSes. Lots of new stuff to look forward to!